Friday 3 October 2014

A THREE STEP MASCARA ROUTINE


We've all heard about 3-step programs in skincare but what about a 3-step mascara program? I sort of have a love/hate (mostly hate) relationship with my lashes but I have entered into a pretty solid routine of using three different mascaras daily, all for different purposes. This definitely isn't for everyone but my lashes need some serious encouragement so I'm going to break down the three mascaras I'm using at the moment and reasons for each.



L'Oreal Miss Manga Waterproof Mascara (£7.99) - If you have straight, droopy lashes then my first tip would be a lash curler, swiftly followed by a coat of waterproof mascara. This step is essential in my routine - it sets the base for everything else. If I skip this my lashes drop immediately - well that might be exaggerating, give them a minute. Usually one coat is enough to keep them curled all day. Of course my favourite is Maybelline The Rocket but I've been trying the L'Oreal Miss Manga mascara for a few weeks to mix things up. I wasn't completely convinced by it on first use, but I think I'm coming around to it - it's definitely one of those formulas that benefits from drying out a little. I like the tapered applicator shape but the whole bendy 360-wand thing is a bit strange and gimmicky. Thankfully it doesn't bother me too much and I still have enough control to apply where I need to.



Rimmel Lash Accelerator (£8.99) - I use a non-waterproof mascara for the next coat for two different reasons. Firstly, there are a lot of great mascaras out there that don't have a corresponding waterproof version and I want to try them out just as much as the next person! Also, it's easier to remove. You know how if you put fresh nail polish on top of old nail polish it comes off easier? This is kind of like that. I find layering a non-waterproof formula over a waterproof one means that at the end of the day, it all comes off a little easier. You will still need a decent cleansing oil or balm but you can be a little less aggressive on the lashes and hopefully not lose any! Lash Accelerator was a Nicole Guerriero inspired purchase and is now one of my favourite mascaras for separating lashes. I love the thin, long wand; it makes for a perfect second coat of mascara and doesn't clump.



No7 Stay Perfect Mascara (£12.95) - I've made it no secret that this is my favourite mascara to use on my lower lashes and I recently bought a new one (accidentally in black/brown but it still works). The tiny wand is perfect for getting into those lower lashes. The formula never smudges as it has completely different technology to other mascaras (watch their video here to learn more). It creates "tubes" around each lash so you need to move quite quickly before it dries. You only need one coat and the tubes stay put until you remove them with water or make-up remover. It's a little pricier than your average drugstore mascara, but totally worth it and often on offer!

There was a point in my life, where mascara just felt useless and ineffective but this three step process has finally taken me to a place where I'm content with them. I'd recommend something like this especially for Asian lashes like mine and I think it just goes to show that different mascaras work for everyone. You have to search to find yours - Let me know if you have any mascara recommendations!

Tina xx

No comments:

Post a Comment