Friday, 12 September 2014

NEW RIMMEL APOCALIPS MATTE LIP VELVET #30LipsIn30


Let's talk new lip products! As soon as I saw the new Rimmel Apocalips Matte Lip Velvets in Boots I knew I had to give one a try. Even though I wasn't a big fan of the original Apocalips Lip Lacquers (I still have 4 - I seriously tried to like them), this new release still managed to draw me in. The packaging is the same as the original except that it's matte instead of shiny. I picked up the shade Meteoric Matte which is a deep berry-red. I've been on a bit of a berry train recently readying for fall.

The first time I tried to apply this was an utter disaster. It was pretty horrific. The formula is highly highly pigmented and the doe foot applicator has a dip in it so it picks up a lot of product. Although the design is meant to make application easy, I struggled at first. Because this is such a deep shade, if things go wrong it's pretty hard to try and fix any mistakes. I tried first with the applicator, second with a lip brush and then sort of gave up for a while.


I went back to it today and this time lined my lips with yesterday's featured #30LipsIn30 item: the Maybelline Intense Velvet Lip Pencil in Berry Much which is a really good colour match. I used the chubby pencil to outline my lips and then applying the Rimmel Apocalips on top was so much easier. As the edges of my lips need a bit of help in defining, this made a huge difference. I was seriously already considering giving this away after that first try.


I found that this didn't actually dry matte but actually left quite a glossy finish. They are more matte than the originals though, and I definitely prefer this formula. I found that they made my lips look more plump and full and I am really in love with the shade.


Ultimately, I think it's a thumbs up from me. There are some other crazy colours out there if you're up for the likes of the bright orange but I think I saw more of a nude pink too so something for everyone. Will you be trying this new release from Rimmel?

Tina xx